Summer Guide 2017

Kick off summer by swinging into a Syracuse stadium or speedway

Courtesy of Oswego Speedway

Oswego Speedway began its 67th racing season this past weekend when fans packed the grandstand and filled the pit. Grab tickets to catch the races through September.

Syracuse University’s sports may be in their off seasons, but summer in Syracuse is still full of sports action.

The Syracuse Chiefs are in the swing of things on the baseball diamond. Syracuse FC, Syracuse’s new National Premier Soccer League team, kicks things off this upcoming weekend. Oswego Speedway began racing this past weekend.

Whether it’s eating a dollar dog at a Chiefs game, rooting on the new professional soccer team at David W. Murphy Field or watching racecars drive by in the speedway pit, here’s how to check out the local Syracuse sports this summer.

Oswego Speedway

The speedway celebrated its 67th Season Opener in May. Built in 1951, the asphalt track, located at 300 E. Albany St., welcomes practices and races of supermodified race cars. The “Home of the Supermodifieds” has races through September as it finishes off with its 61st Annual Classic Week, when there are different races all week and events throughout the community, like bowling at Lighthouse Lanes on August 30. Tickets can be purchased for grandstand general admission, reserved seating, pit pass and VIP seating.

Syracuse Chiefs

The triple-A affiliate for the Washington Nationals, the Syracuse Chiefs season began in April and continues into September. With games nearly every day, the team takes on some of the best Major League Baseball prospects around the country. During almost every home game at NBT Bank Stadium, the Chiefs offer a promotion.

Fans can enjoy hotdogs for just a quarter on “25 Cent Hot Dog Monday.” On “Taco Tuesdays,” $10 gets fans three tacos. If the Chiefs win on “Winning Wednesdays,” fans get to exchange their ticket for a future game’s ticket.

Every Thursday is “$1 Thursday” when a dollar goes a long way. Hot dogs and Coca-Cola products only cost a dollar, and for two dollars, fans can get Coors, LaBatt, Saranac and 1911 products. On Fridays at NBT Bank Stadium, at the end of the games fans can stick around for fireworks. Sundays are for families during “NBT Bank Family Sunday.”

Syracuse FC

Syracuse’s new National Premier Soccer League soccer team kicks off their season on May 20 at 3 p.m. at Onondaga Community College’s David W. Murphy Field. Recently signing two Syracuse University soccer players, forward Adnan Bakalovic, a junior at SU, and Patrick Castle, a senior. For its first matchup, the team will take on AFC Cleveland as part of the East Conference in the Midwest Region on the NPSL.