Column

Black Artist Collective helps showcase the intersections between activism and the arts

Courtesy of the Black Artist Collective

Art and civic engagement can transform local communities, as seen through organizations like the Black Artist Collective, our columnist writes.

Early in my childhood, I grew up engrossed in after-school activities that allowed me to explore my creativity. From my piano lessons to the free after-school program at the Community Folk Art Center, I never lacked art in my life.

My mother, Cjala Surratt, taught me the importance of bringing the intersections of systemic disparities and the arts into local conversation, something I learned as I watched her help build the Black Artist Collective (BAC). Art and civic engagement have always intersected in my life, and I found that a community enriched by arts and culture has lasting impacts on its residents.

The arts contribute more to communities than public displays for residents to admire. Art and policy intertwine past the artistic realm and can be an investment into a community’s economic, social and educational vitality. The arts can take many forms and depict many themes, voices and faces, as well as bring awareness to issues.

Building social cohesion within communities is important. It creates a sense of solidarity and can strengthen relationships between people. The function art plays is vital to social cohesion, not only because it stimulates participation in the arts, but also because it exposes individuals to a diverse set of ideas and experiences that challenge their worldview. Strong social cohesion also leads to strong social capital, with these being “two critical factors that determine the strength and resilience of a community.

The economic, social and educational benefits of the arts are evident in the vibrant cultural landscape of Syracuse. A 2018 study conducted by CNY Arts found that the present 45 arts and culture programs and organizations generated $48 million. This translated into 5,000 jobs and $100 million spent in the local economy of the greater Syracuse area.

Cole Ross | Digital Design Director

Syracuse has seen a growth in the arts since 2018, including the formation of new organizations such as the Black Artist Collective. Organizations like BAC emerged to create space for BIPOC artists and prioritize the arts in the local policy sector.

While it can be easy to stay in our own bubble on campus, Syracuse’s public arts scene and organizations like the BAC can be impactful for both Syracuse University students and the university itself.

These organizations serve as platforms for meaningful connections with the local community, fostering a sense of belonging beyond the university’s boundaries. It also allows emerging student artists to build a local network as well as connect with more experienced artists. BAC’s mission also includes art advocacy, with the goal of being a safe space for artists of color and dedicating themselves to amplifying the voices and work of Syracuse’s artists. BAC also organizes events, helps artists find grant opportunities and by providing workshops to help develop their work.

The engagement with initiatives like the Black Artist Collective goes beyond the physical confines of the campus. It becomes a bridge, inviting students to explore the intricate narratives and diverse perspectives presented in artistic expressions. One example is the upcoming play titled “Finals” by BAC member Martikah Williams. This production not only showcases the talent within BAC but also delves into the complex world of young Black women striving for success in higher education.

Williams describes this play as a “story for anyone who’s ever felt like higher education is not for them, prioritizing mental health is not for them and having supportive loving relationships is not for them.” She said she hopes the audience leaves the show feeling seen and is reminded that we all share these same experiences.

“Finals” is just one example of how BAC supports its members and community. An exhibition presented by BAC opened in July 2023, showcasing artwork by local artists to explore the destruction of the historic 15th Ward during urban renewal in the 1960s. The exhibition titled, “Paired Pieces,” is set to continue being displayed in different locations around Syracuse. Currently, it can be found in a Downtown storefront displayed on Salina Street.

Brandan Meyer is one of the artists with work in the exhibit, and this work will also be displayed in the upcoming exhibition at the MLK Celebration dinner on Jan. 21. “I enter the space with the confidence that I’m not only surrounded by Black love, but people who know and are going through what it takes to be successful as a Black person within these spaces,” he said.

By actively participating in and supporting these artistic initiatives, students can enrich their academic journey with a deeper understanding of societal issues, diverse cultures and varied perspectives. This involvement not only enhances their educational experience but also contributes to the local arts’ broader commitment to fostering a culturally rich and socially aware community.

As the arts continue to thrive in Syracuse, the university stands to benefit by embracing and actively participating in these transformative cultural experiences. A symbiotic relationship between the university and these artistic endeavors holds the potential for a mutually enriching future.

Sarhia Rahim is a junior Policy Studies Major. Her Column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at slrahim@syr.edu.